Exploring the Nile in Egypt

Join us as we travel down the Nile to learn about this rich ancient culture.
08 July 2008

Download MP3

VOICE ONE:

(MUSIC)

"We shall never enjoy another place like Ipsamboul; the absolute solitude of it - the absence of a present, of any of one's fellow-creatures ... I came out of the [temple] and looked again upon the glorious colossi. I wish all my friends could see them once in their lives, if only for a moment; or that I could describe to anyone the look of intense repose in those faces."

In the nineteen sixties, both temples were moved stone by stone from their original sites and rebuilt two hundred meters away. This was done as protection from the rising water of the Nile as a result of the building of the Aswan High Dam.

There are many interesting places to visit in Aswan. They include the Nubian museum, the Aswan Botanical Gardens and the Old Cataract Hotel. The British mystery writer Agatha Christie wrote part of her book "Death on The Nile" in this hotel.

."

He established a line of Ptolemaic leaders that ruled for three hundred years.  To see Philae, visitors must take a boat to a small island.

ACTOR: "Oh Nile, father of life. All hail to you. When your waters rise and your bounty overwhelms us.

One of the most famous buildings at Philae is the Kiosk of Trajan. It was a favorite subject in paintings by nineteenth century European travelers.

It is unusual because it has double gates and rooms in order to honor both gods. The wall carvings show the traditions and daily life of Egyptians. One wall has detailed carvings of medical tools. Our guide Mohamed Fahmy tells us about them.

VOICE ONE:

VOICE TWO:

I'm Steve Ember.

Voice of America Special English
www.manythings.org/voa/scripts/