What Is the Story of Your Life? Please Summarize in Six Words

12 March 2008

Download MP3

Found true love. Married someone else.

Young, skinny: ridiculed. Old, skinny: envied.

It gets lonely, behind a microphone.

Not Quite What I Was Planning -- which was a six-word memoir -- that can pretty much apply to a whole life and almost anyone's life."

One tooth. One cavity. Life's cruel. And that takes one tiny aspect of a person's life and expands it to say more than that one tiny detail might say.

Never should have have bought that ring. That tells a whole story about a moment in his life and about a life regret."

Was father, boys died, still sad. That was a level of power I wasn't intending to get."

'Bespectacled, besneakered, read and ran around' -- describes you pretty well. What's your memoir, Larry?"

Big hair, big heart, big hurry. It's kind of playful, kind of fun, [and] no great masterful prose. But people respond to it and, most importantly, it's true to who I am."

Born bald. Grew hair. Bald again.

Trains. Planes. Thumb. Then children come. Now thumb, of course, the word just really means a digit on your hand. But if you think about that image of hitchhiking, of sticking your thumb out in the middle of the road and getting picked up and going who knows where, it's such an image of youth and freedom. And when you settle down and have babies, you are not traveling by thumb anymore. So I love that, with the one word thumb, she has actually communicated a whole lifestyle."

word@voanews.com. You never know until you try. Hey, that's also six words! For WORDMASTER, I'm Adam Phillips.

Voice of America Special English
www.manythings.org/voa/scripts/