The American Library of Congress Has Chosen 25 More Films for Its National Film Registry Collection

Join us as we learn about efforts to protect these and other recordings.
20 January 2008

Download MP3

Dr. Otternschlag: "What do you do in the Grand Hotel? Eat, sleep, loaf around. Flirt a little, dance a little. A hundred doors leading to one hall.  No one knows anything about the person next to them. When you leave, someone occupies your room, lies in your bed. That's the end."

"Well, let's begin our story this way. It's one o'clock in the morning on a hot summer night. And, this is the face of New York when it's asleep. Or, as nearly asleep as any city ever is."

Crystal :  Listen,  I'm taking my marching orders from Stephen. He seems to be satisfied with this arrangement, so don't force any issues unless you want to cause plenty of trouble.

Mary: You've made it impossible for me to do anything else. 

Crystal: You're very confident, aren't you.

Mary: Yes, because I know Stephen couldn't love a girl like you.

Crystal: Well, if he couldn't, he is an awfully good actor. Look, what have you got to kick about? You've got everything that matters. You've got the name, the position, the money.

Mary: My husband's love happens to mean more to me than those things.

Our programs are online with transcripts and MP3 files at voaspecialenglish.com. Join us again next week for THIS IS AMERICA in VOA Special English.

Voice of America Special English
www.manythings.org/voa/scripts/