Hacks and Tweaks
Charles Kelly's Moodle Things
- I've put these here primarily for myself so I can remember what I did, the next time I upgrade Moodle.
- You may use them if you like, but please don't ask for support. I just don't have the time.
- Use these are your own risk.
- They work for me, but don't blame me if they don't work for you or if they completely destroy everything you have.
- As with any "hacks," or installations of any new versions of software, including Moodle upgrades, you should make backups of everything before playing around -- just in case something goes wrong.
Very Simple Hacks
Replace the default user icon.
- To encourage students to quickly upload their own photos, replace the default "user" icons with something less attractive.
- Idea #1: Use a gender-free anonymous silhouette. (This is what we currently do.)
- Idea #2: Use a gender-free image of a pig, a monkey, a frown face, etc. (We used a pig for a while.)
- Where are the icons?
- /moodle/pix/u/f1.png & /moodle/pix/u/f2.png
- These are the 2 we are currently using. (The yellow matches the theme we use for forums and blogs.)
Include the Google search form, YouTube videos, etc. in blocks.
- Just copy and paste the appropriate HTML code into the standard HTML block.
- Other ideas: dictionary search forms, a clock, the local weather, ...
Menu of More Difficult Hacks
- How to Put All Blogs into One Course
- A way to easily have all students on your Moodle site blog with each other, by forcing all blog entries into one meta course.
- How to Get Moodle to Use Student Numbers Correctly
- I had to do this, since in Japan we need to sort by family names, which are in Kanji.
- Our university assigns student numbers in this order.
- How to Get Moodle to Substitute Hobby for City
- Rather than ask for "City" in profiles, ask for "hobbies or interests."
- How do I remove the login link from the login page?
- I submitted this suggestion to Moodle.
- Easy Registration
- So students can more easily register.
- Easy Registration 2
- This is the one I was planning to use, but when I upgraded to Moodle 1.8, it quit working.
- Substitute "My Teacher" for "Country" in Student Profiles
- Moodle 1.8 allows adding things to the profile, but this is better for us.
- Easier Course Navigation
- At the top of the page, add links to sections, either by clickable links or a scroll-down menu.
- Include Dictionary Search Forms in the Footer
- Adapted Language Pack
- Mostly English, but some bilingual $strings and some $strings in Japanese only.
- Fixes that I Have Reported
- How to Display Weeks in Reverse Order (by Luuk CARNEL)
- More to come ...