What is the Tatoeba Project?
- The Tatoeba Project is a group of people working on a corpus of sentences and their translations
that can used by various projects under the Creative Commons - Attribution 2.0 license.
Some Basic Rules
(There are more Guidelines and Rules in the Wiki.)
- We want complete sentences.
- We want natural-sounding translations, not word-for-word direct translations.
- Don't add sentences from copyrighted sources.
The 2 Ways You Can Be the Most Helpful
- You can translate from a foreign language you know into your own native language or strongest language.
- You can create natural-sounding sentences in your own native language for others to translate into their native languages.
- So the concept is : we gather a lot of data, try to organize it, ensure it is of good quality and make it freely accessible, downloadable and redistributable, so that anyone who has a great idea for a language learning application (or a language tool) can just focus on coding the application and rely on us to provide data of excellent quality. (Trang, 2009-11-28)
Register to Become a Contributor
If you want to add translations, you will need to register. (You don't need to register to browse or search for sentences.)
- Read the basic rules and about how to contribute, and then register.
How to Contribute
- You can translate a sentence by clicking on this icon whenever you see it.
- Please do not forget capital letters and punctuation.
- You can add alternate translations. ()
- If you feel there are several possible translations, you can add them all.
- Just make sure you are adding the translations to the other language. (In other words, don't add an English translation to an English sentence.)
- You can add comments to sentences.
- If you find a mistake, leave a comment, suggesting a correction.