Words from Japanese Newspapers in Order of Frequency
Flash Quizzes & Flashcards
- Nouns [Total Words = 23,403]
- Verbs [Total Words = 2,787]
- Adjectives [Total Words = 2,411]
- Adverbs [Total Words = 289]
- All "Parts of Speech" Mixed Together [650 quizzes each with 50 words.]
Good for "flashcards," but not so good for multiple-choice quizzes since the answers are often too easy.
About the Quizzes
- The words are sorted by the frequency in which they appeared in 4-years of the Mainichi Newspaper. Only words used more than 2 times in the data analyzed were used. For the quizzes with all parts of speech merged, only words used more than 7 times were included.
- The question order and the position of the correct answer is randomly chosen. The distractors are then randomly chosen from other words in the list.
- The number that you see listed with the "part of speech" after you have answered the question is the number of times that word appears in the analyzed data.
- More Information
About the Flashcards
- The order is randomly shuffled each time you go through the set of "cards."
A Suggested Way to Use These Quizzes
- Go through the set of data at least three times. Perhaps this will take about 15 minutes per quiz.
- Do the 4-choice quiz which will show you the readings.
- Do the 5-choice quiz which does not show the readings.
- Go through the flashcards.
- Tomorrow, come back do the same quiz again (maybe just once), then do the next quiz.
This is part of www.manythings.org/japanese/news. | About the Quizzes
Copyright (C) 2003 by Charles I. Kelly